Forest and Beach Hikes in and around The Crags, Nature's Valley and Plettenberg Bay
Posted on Mon October 9, 2017.
Hiking in the Garden Route is spectacular. Beaches and forests, guided historical and educational nature walks are available. The list is endless but we have chosen our personal favourites, which are all within 20 km's of our cottages.
The Carraighs - we have cleared a hiking trail on our own land which winds steeply through the indigenous forest. For our guests only so you won't be bumping into anyone ;)
- Brimful Adventure Trails in Askop Road offers guided hikes for the whole family. Mark Jones is a trained and registered Field Guide of over 20 years now with captive and wild experience in many different avenues. He has a unique perspective on wildlife and conservation and loves to share all his knowledge with anyone wanting to hear. Mark is an experienced guide with intimate knowledge of every animal you are likely to encounter in the forest, and a gorgeous forest exclusive to you and your group on the walk. Phone to book a hike in the forest or the beautiful hike from Askop to Enrico's in Keurbooms ! Ph: 0723037710
- Nature's Valley - the Salt River hike is an absolutely beautiful hike from the top of Nature's Valley, through fynbos and then the indigenous forest, to the Salt River mouth, and then to Nature's Valley. Low tide essential. The Kalanderkloof hike meanders through the ancient indigenous forest and then of course you can just walk for miles on the beach ! The lagoon is perfectly safe for children to swim and canoe.
- Nature's Valley flower walks - Don't know your Erica's from your Protea's ? An arranged hike with our resident flower expert ! Nature's Valley Trust Flower Walks
- Tsitsikamma National Park - stunning scenery from the Rest camp through the forest to the suspension bridge over Storms River Mouth or in the other direction, hike across a somewhat rocky path over boulders, to an amazing waterfall. This is the start of the famous Otter Trail. Tsitsikamma National Park
- Storms River Village has a few different hikes through the beautiful indigenous forest. You can also do a Canopy Tour with Stormsriver Adventures. Stormsriver Adventures
- Arch Rock is an easy walk from Enrico's Ristorante in Keurbooms Strand along the beach to Arch Rock. Go at low tide and you will find the 'secret' paths through the rocks, and wonderful pools for swimming. Dog friendly!
- Robberg Nature Reserve is an outstandingly beautiful hike along the Robberg Peninsula. You will pass the Seal Colony and you can choose between the shorter or longer (only at low tide) version of the hike. There is a lovely beach. Be very cautious about where you swim, the rips are extremely dangerous.
- Kranshoek is another spectacular location where you can choose to hike through the forest or the fynbos. There is a particularly memorable (and steep) hike along the cliffs down to the sea.
- Soetkraal National Park is a local secret .... if you can arrange permission from Forestry this is an historical and remote hike which will heal your soul !
- MAPS of all hikes are available from our cottages or via Plett Tourism on this link : Plett Hiking Maps